Saturday, November 1, 2014

A shot in my butt....Adrenal insufficiency is no joke!

Happy Halloween....my first real Adrenal Insufficiency day:( But I learned a lot, let me tell you.

How did it start you might ask? Well I am three months post op and went in to get my blood draws to find out how my cortisol levels were to see if I am still in remission. To do that you have to NOT take your cortisol for 24 hours. Somewhere in my head I thought it was 48 hours. Its not! I have now learned.

So I withheld my cortisol for two days. Went in and got 8 vials of blood draw to check cortisol, Acth, Growth Hormone, Vit D, Thyroid etc... I knew that I would be taking my cortisol right after my blood draw, which I did. While I was there though I was asked if I wanted a flu shot. I thought of course. So I got one of those too.

Four hours later I am feeling really achy. Like I am low but I just assume its the flu shot because sometimes it can give you flu like symptoms. One more hour later and I just am really tired and not feeling well so I go to bed really early.

I wake up in the middle of the night and vomit. I am thinking "seriously I shouldn't of taken the flu shot". What I didn't realize was I was going into Adrenal Insufficiency. I was aching so bad I could barely lift my arms. I was so sick to my stomach. I would take my cortisol and it would come straight back up. I took more to try and keep it down with an anti nauseous pill. Finally my husband realized I was going into Adrenal Insufficiency and said its not the flu. I was getting to the point where I was so confused. I couldn't barely keep my eyes open. Thought I was sleeping 2 hours and he said it was 10 minutes. All I wanted to do was fall into a sleep.  I kept saying stuff I just would never say. I couldn't even open the bathroom door because my hands hurt. We emailed my Endo and he got back to me right away! So great to have a awesome Cushings Endocrinologist who emailed me back on his day off. He said take my sol-coruf shot right now and then 30 mg orally after. Then double my regular dose for three days and take it easy. My husband got straight to grabbing my emergency shot and put it in my thigh/butt area. Within 30 minutes I was starting to feel clearer. My arms started being able to move. I wasn't feeling so tired. But I wasn't all better. So I took the 30mg orally and started to feel better. Most ppl would have to go to the hospital for hydration and also another 100mg. So if this happens to you I would recommend going in. We live so far away I just went off what my Dr said to me. Each case is different though so please go to the hospital.

It was a scary moment for us. We live 45 minutes from the nearest hospital and I am so thankful that I had the shot here in my house. I have heard so many horror stories about this. People going into comas or even dying because they didnt get the shot or get to the hospital. This is no joke!

 Now its the next day and I feel like I have the worst hangover ever. I feel my head throbbing and kinda still a little nauseous but doing WAY better. I do notice also that I am feeling more stressed. I am sure that has to do with all the cortisol running through me. The shot is 100mg. I take 7.5 now a day. So I will be taking it WAY easy to get my body back to normal. I am also taking double my regular dose for three days like my Dr told me too.

So what is the moral of this story? Adrenal Insufficiency is no joke. Don't take it lightly. Look for the signs and symptoms of it and take action. I am lucky. I could of slipped into a coma or not gotten to the hospital in time or not had the shot with me. I am lucky I had my husband there because I started to get really confused. Many ppl are alone and we need to really figure out what are symptoms are. I learned you only do not take your med ONE day before your blood draw not two. Do Not take flu shot when you are withholding cortisol from your body. If you are thinking you need the shot....take it. Don't wait. Too much cortisol wont hurt you but not enough will post op.

Look at some of the signs and symptoms of Adrenal Insufficiency to be able to pay attention to your own body more. Its important. Yesterday I was lucky in so many ways. I want you to really pay attention. I know I will be:)

If you want to contact me please feel free to email me at Cushingscountrygirl@gmail.com or I have a facebook group called "Cushings!!" I will always respond back as soon as I can.

Going to leave you with some pictures of my kids....they still had their Halloween and Football Game with the help of my friends and husband! Thank you so much!!!
my daughter as Jack Skeleton

My youngest as Nypd

Great Tackle from my oldest

My two sons won their football game!



7 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for sharing this! This is very important to know, and should be shared with all Cushies and their families!. I am so glad your hubby was there to help you through this! I am glad you are feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! I am glad he was there also! Please share with your friends or family or anyone who you feel should know this!

      Delete
  2. Thank God you got your shot in time! Thank you for sharing this very important lesson with us all. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. It's really important information that could save another person's life. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My doc told me to do 48hrs at first but then she called me to tell me it was only 24 hrs the next time! so I did the same thing too! But luckily I did not need a shot, I just was in extreme pain, headache, muscle pain, nausea and kept crying and so we increased the medication for a few days. Loved this entry <3

    ReplyDelete